It was a huge commitment for the 23 adults who volunteered. The more I thank them, the more I recognize how much more I should thank them.
Here’s another reason to thank them: My students, in their end-of-year evaluations, had huge praise for their online writing mentors. Not one student reported a negative experience. Here are some quotes:
- “My mentor helped me with grammar and editing on a college level.”
- “My mentor was helpful, challenging, knowledgeable, friendly, and supportive.”
- “It was good to have another adult besides my teacher to edit my work.”
- “My writing mentor knew my writing style so he could help me even more.”
- “My mentor knew what he was talking about and helped me my writing make sense.”
* * *
Thank you again, Online Writing Mentors! As a teacher, I can devote maybe 15 minutes per student per week. Without you, my students’ writing would not have grown as much as it did. Thank you again for your dedication.